October 22, 2010

Hachis Parmentier - FFWDORIE

Today's recipe was hachis parmentier. A French classic; I am French, it should be a piece of cake. I forgot that it was also a full moon. I think I should stay away from the kitchen on full moon days.

First, my ground beef and sausages did not break into small bits, as they usually do. Then, I realized I had bought and cooked the wrong kind of potatoes after I started mashing them. My purée was a biphasic matter, half too soft, with pieces of hard potatoes (do not use Trader Joe's golden potatoes for mashed potato). Yuk. How could I fail my mashed potatoes, and my guests who came for the hachis parmentier were already waiting in the living room, arghhhh.



 
The final hachis parmentier looked ok, and tasted ok too. My guests finished it all.


For the record, I also manage to screw up the chocolate sauce for my poached pears. I am sure this had to do with the full moon.

Other bonne idee: you can use duck confit in place of the steak, it's delicious.





1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry it didn't work out exactly, but it looks perfect in your photo. Duck confit would be a wonderful variation. I want to try it.

    ReplyDelete