November 30, 2010

Potato Gratin - FFWDORIE

All right, gratin dauphinois, another traditionnal French dish that anyone should be able to make. Did I say anyone? Of course, this is without taking into account my inability to cook potatoes properly...
How can I not make this right. You only need to slice up some potatoes, cover them in warm milk/cream, add some salt, pepper, and cook. How hard can that be?




Well. I bought the right kind of potatoes this time, delicious organic idaho potatoes, and sliced them up nicely. I made the cream and milk infused with garlic, and layered the potatoes with the cream mixture, adding salt and pepper. No cheese please (there is a controvesy on whether to add cheese or not, personally, I prefer without).
Et hop, in the oven. So what did I do wrong? I am not sure...

It took forever to cook the potatoes; they were not done (after 1h30mn in the oven). And there was too much liquid left (I should have measured I guess). Overall, the garlic infused cream was a great idea, it adds some extra depth to the potatoes, and my gratin was ok. I will leave it longer in the oven next time.

1 comment:

  1. Your potatoes look yummy, sorry they didn't come out as well as you'd like. How thick were your potato slices? I used my mandolin to get them 1/8th inch and it cooked well...I think if the potatoes had been thicker, it would have taken much longer to cook.

    ReplyDelete